This book is for Korean language learners who want to improve their proficiency while learning about Korean culture. Reading the folktales in this book, students will gain a deeper understanding of Korean culture and improve their communication skills in the language. This accessible book is suitable for a range of levels, from beginners to more advanced learners.
The book is organized into three sections according to language proficiency levels. The stories in each level contain level-appropriate vocabulary, expressions, grammar, and sentence types. It also provides a sequence of readings and activities that progressively increase in difficulty, enabling students to practice grammar structures and learn new ones.
The beginning-level section includes short traditional stories that introduce basic vocabulary and grammatical expressions. The stories in the intermediate-level section are relatively longer than those in the beginning level, utilizing complex sentences. The advanced-level section contains narratively complex stories that are much longer than the beginning and intermediate-level stories. They are written in a more formal, descriptive style using expressive vocabulary and highly complex grammatical expressions. These tales are based on historical novels or pansori.
This book may be used as a reading text for self-studying learners, or as a supplementary text for Korean language classes of all levels. Containing a full list of vocabulary and expressions in addition to the translations of each story, the book permits students to fully understand the content of each folktale. The book has accompanying on-line audio-visual materials.
Mijeong Mimi Kim
Teaching Professor of Korean, Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures, Washington University in St. Louis)
Senior Lector II of Korean, Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures, Yale University
1. 청개구리 The Tale of The Green Frog
2. 혹부리 할아버지 The Grandfather with The Lump on His Face
3. 의좋은 형제 The Friendly Brothers
4. 호랑이와 곶감 The Tiger and The Persimmon
5. 소가 된 게으름뱅이 The Idler That Became a Cow
6. 금도끼 은도끼 The Golden Ax, The Silver Ax
7. 해님 달님 Sister Sun and Brother Moon
- Intermediate Level-
8. 흥부와 놀부 Heungbu and Nolbu
9. 단군 이야기 The Tale of Dangun
10. 효자 호랑이 The Filial Tiger
11. 거울을 처음 본 사람들 Those Who First Looked in the MIrror
12. 우렁각시 The Snail Bride
13. 젊어지는 샘물 The Stream o Youth
14. 은혜 갚은 까치 The Grateful Magpies
- Advanced Level -
15. 선녀와 나무꾼 The Heavenly Maiden and the Woodcutter
16. 콩쥐 팥쥐 Kongjwi and Patjwi
17. 토끼의 간 The Rabbit’s Liver
18. 견우와 직녀 Gyeon-woo and Jik-nyeo
19. 효녀 심청 Shim Chung The Filial Daughter
20. 홍길동전 The Story of Hong Gil Dong
21. 온달과 평강공주 Ondal and Princess Pyeonggang